It is important for foundation skills to be well established in order for further skill development to occur effectively. Children develop skills at an incredible rate during their early years. Ensuring the building blocks for learning are developed, sets a strong platform for positive future learning experiences, builds confidence and self esteem, and sets the foundation for a successful transition to primary school.
Services we offer to child care centres include:
- Preschool/Kindergarten Screenings. An occupational therapist can come to the centre and screen a group of children, and provide a summary report for the teacher and parents.
- Individual assessment and therapy can be onsite.
- Group programs can be provided which target a variety of areas such as fine motor skills, school readiness, movement and coordination skills. Group programs can also be developed in response to the identified needs of the centre.
- Workshops and presentations can be provided to teaching staff and parents on a range of topics and can be tailored to meet areas of interest or identified need.
- We provide specialised resources to support children’s learning, behaviour and skill development.
Children spend a lot of time at school being a ‘student’ and a ‘friend’. It is a very important time in child’s life and the role of being a ‘student’ and a ‘friend’ requires many skills. A child’s confidence and self belief can be either positively or negatively impacted by their perceptions of, and experiences at school.
Occupational therapist are experts at identifying the root cause of the challenges a child may have in one or more areas of their life. This includes all areas of development, play, self care or learning skills.
School services include:
- A free introductory presentation explaining “What is Paediatric Occupational Therapy?”, and how we support students, parents and teaching staff.
- Individual assessment and therapy. This service can be engaged by the school directly, or by individual families.
- School Screenings.
- Small group or whole class programs targeting a variety of areas such as fine motor skills, school readiness, handwriting, concentration and memory, movement and coordination skills, social skills, or can be developed in response to identified needs.
- Specialised class resources are available to support children’s learning, behaviour and skill development. These resources can be used as an individual or whole class strategy.
- Professional development workshops for teaching staff.
- Education sessions for parents.
Our occupational therapy services are provided in schools as a private service to parents. We work closely with the school to support teaching staff and the students we provide therapy to. Empowered Kids coordinates all referrals, assessments and therapy sessions with the school, and the payment of services with families. We just require a room on the day of therapy.
We tailor our assessments to focus on the area’s of concern which have been identified by the parent and/or school and work closely with those working directly with the child (e.g family, school staff, and other health professionals). This allows for goals to be purposeful, realistic and achievable. A collaborative process sets the platform for success.